Daily Mail UK – It was meant to be another fresh start with Joe Root finally stamping his authority on an under-performing Test side.
- Joe Root walks off the field as England crashed to another low score on home turf Alastair Cook welcomed in a return to form as he hit 70 on an otherwise sorry day for England The former captain looked assured and composed as he dealt with a grassy wicket at Lord’s Cook was bowled out for 70 by a brilliant delivery from Pakistan’s Mohammad Amir Amir celebrates after dispatching the stubborn Cook and hand Pakistan a huge advantageIt is all very well picking a bold, exciting looking team but it is pointless if all that attacking flair is not married to an application that remains lacking in an England Test side who have stagnated, or worse, over the last two years.
- Mark Stoneman managed just four runs before he was clean bowled by Mohammad Abbas Joe Root, playing at No 3, was caught for four runs after swinging wildly at Hasan Ali’s ball Ali of Pakistan celebrates dismissing England captain Root during the first Test at Lord’sNot a bit of it.
- Ben Stokes put up a brave fight to hit 38 before being caught lbw by Abbas later in the day Jos Buttler was the third highest scorer in England’s first innings with a modest score of 14This was neither and Cook will be angry with himself for failing to convert such a good start but how England needed him on a day when no-one else suggested permanence against two lesser known Pakistan bowlers.
- Mohammad Abbas is in only his seventh Test but impressed in Pakistan’s victory in Ireland’s debut Test with nine wickets and now proved himself perfect in English conditions with his lively seam bowling to take four England scalps.
- Captain Root talks to his England players as they prepare to take to the field after hitting 184 Stuart Broad appeals to the umpire after trapping Pakistan’s Imam-ul-Haq for lbw on reviewSo there was no possible reason for Root to aim the loosest of drives to a wide ball from Hasan and edge through to a disbelieving Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed, who saw his side bowl and field with aplomb throughout the day.