Rediff – IMAGE: Dinesh Karthik bats.
- Photograph: BCCIIndia’s Wriddhiman Saha has been ruled out of this month’s one-off Test against Afghanistan with a thumb injury that will need up to six weeks to heal, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said on Saturday.
- Saha will be replaced by Dinesh Karthik for the match starting June 14 in Bengaluru, when Afghanistan will make their debut in the five-day format after being granted full member status along with Ireland last June.
- India will also be without regular captain Virat Kohli against Afghanistan.
- Saha has been India’s regular glovesman since the retirement of former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni in December 2014.
- India begin their tour of England in July with three Twenty20 internationals and three one-day internationals before a five-Test series starting in August.