Mid-day – Afghanistan coach Phil Simmons today said his “team has a mountain to climb” before it emerges as a strong Test playing nation.
- Afghanistan coach Phil Simmons today said his “team has a mountain to climb” before it emerges as a strong Test playing nation.
- Simmons made his comments after Afghanistan suffered a crushing loss against India on their Test debut with the one-off game finishing inside two days.
- Asked if facing a lower-ranked team on their debut made more sense, Simmons said the match may have been competitive in that case but they would not have learnt much as they did facing India, the number one Test side in the ICC rankings.
- Replying to another query, Simmons said Afghanistan have to play a lot of A-series cricket against India, England, Australia and Bangladesh to close the gap between domestic and international cricket.
- Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updatesThis story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies.