MSN New Zealand – © Getty Blackcaps opener Martin Guptill.
- Blackcaps opener Martin Guptill has helped create some dubious cricket history, as Australian pace bowler Joe Mennie became the first player in the English County Championship to be subbed out of a game with , after being struck on the side of the head by the ball.
- The 29-year-old South Australian, playing for Lancashire, was hit on the right side of his head during his follow through by Guptill, who was playing for Worcester.
- Mennie reportedly deflected the ball towards his temple and was momentarily laid motionless.
- Lancashire assistant coach Mark Chilton said Mennie was yet to be diagnosed with but was able to be replaced by Danny Lamb under new rules for the 2018 English season.
- Making his debut for Worcester, Guptill went on to record 111 runs off 106 balls, after scoring just two in his first innings.