FOX Sports – KING CITY, Ontario (AP) The Global T20 Canada cricket tournament opened to largely empty bleachers on Thursday.
- The Toronto Nationals, which has recruited disgraced Australia captain Steve Smith, won the toss and choose to bowl first against the Vancouver Knights at the Maple Leaf Cricket Ground.
- Organizers have recruited some marquee names to captain the squads in West Indies’ Darren Sammy (Toronto), Dwayne Bravo (Winnipeg) and Gayle (Vancouver), Sri Lanka’s Lasith Malinga (Montreal) and Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi (Edmonton).
- A Cricket West Indies ”B” side fills out the six-team field.
- There was a relaxed atmosphere prior to the game with the Vancouver team playing pickup soccer and the Toronto side opting for soccer-volleyball.
- Smith is playing for Toronto and former Australia vice-captain David Warner is in the Winnipeg team.