ABC News Australia – David Warner’s return to the crease was over in a matter of minutes but it mattered little as his Winnipeg Hawks opened the inaugural Global T20 Canada with a victory.
- Warner’s star-studded Winnipeg side enjoyed a 46-run win against the Montreal Tigers at Maple Leaf Cricket Club, north of Toronto.
- Making his return to cricket at the fledgling league in Toronto, while serving a 12-month international and domestic first-class ban for ball-tampering in South Africa, Warner was dismissed for 1 after facing just two balls when opening the batting.
- Warner opened his account with a single when he nudged one to the leg side from a delivery by fellow Australian Peter Siddle, but he was dismissed on the first ball of the second over by Lasith Malinga.
- Warner started the innings with a bang by taking a fine catch, chasing back from mid-off to dismiss opener Dwayne Smith for a second-ball duck.
- Warner could not match the exploits of his former Test captain Steve Smith, who on his return to competitive cricket cracked a half-century and took a superb catch during the opening match of the fledgling Canadian league the day prior.