Gulf News – Dubai.
- The Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) is hoping to scale to greater heights following the board receiving a shot in their arm by winning the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) top Development Award for 2017.
- Speaking to Gulf News from Dublin, after receiving the Gray-Nicolls Best Overall Cricket Development Programme award during the ICC’s annual conference, Zayed Abbas, the ECB Board member and spokesperson, said: “We had really worked hard and it is the reward for our long hard journey.
- The ECB was considered for the honour due to their UAE men’s national team’s success in retaining the One Day International status and also due to their women’s team qualifying for the ICC Women’s World T20 Qualifier.
- The Gray-Nicolls Best Overall Cricket Development Programme award is given to a board that places emphasis on excellence in all areas including governance, management, performance, participation and promotion.
- UAE men’s team under the captaincy of Rohan Mustafa had played in the ICC Cricket World Cup qualifier Super Sixes tournament and even beat Zimbabwe, a Test playing nation this year.