Yahoo UK and Ireland – The oldest cricket club in the world is in danger of being shut down after a ten year battle with its leaseholders, campaigners say.
- Mitcham Cricket Club has been running for over 300 years and is currently locked in a battle with developers who bought the freehold to its cricket pavilion more than a decade ago.
- The cricket club originally had a lease with the previous owners of the pub but claims that new owners Phoenix Limited have been unresponsive to their requests to renew it.
- “They are not willing to renew the lease before this, because if the cricket club put a fence around their part of the site it would prevent the development of the site as a whole,” he said.
- The club is raising money to bring the pavilion into community ownership (Mitcham Cricket Club) “Once they have permission the value of the land will go up.
- The Cricket Club has set up a Go Fund Me page in an attempt to raise enough money to buy back the lease and bring the Mitcham Cricket Pavilion into community ownership so that it can be protected.