Assam Tribune – Joe Root (100) hit a second successive century, while Eoin Morgan (88) smashed an unbeaten half-century as the duo shared a match-winning unbeaten 186-run unconquered stand to script a successful runchase on a track which seemed to have eased out later in the day.
- With this win, England exacted revenge for their 1-2 loss against India in the twenty20 series.
- This is also the first victory for England in limited over cricket over India since 2011.
- Earlier, skipper Virat Kohli cracked a strokeful 71 before England dished out some disciplined bowling effort to restrict India to a modest 256 for 8.
- Kohli scored 71 off 72 balls, inclusive of eight fours, but the Indian innings faltered in face of some quality spin bowling by Adil Rashid, who snapped 3 for 49 to hurt the middle order.
- Kohli forged a 71-run partnership for the second wicket with Shikhar Dhawan (44) but after the duo were dismissed under-fire Mahendra Singh Dhoni scored 42 off 66 balls to shepherd the innings in the latter half.