Guyana Chronicle – IT is one of cricket’s great mysteries that the Caribbean has produced so many great players, despite its small size relative to virtually all other cricketing nations.
- The just concluded test series between the West Indies and Bangladesh is clear evidence of this, with the Caribbean’s mere few millions overcoming the 162 million who live in Bangladesh.
- That 2-0 series victory returned West Indies to a rank above Bangladesh, even if we continue to languish at the bottom end of the test rankings.
- Of course, the West Indies T20 team is generally renowned the world over as the best, despite the ICC’s rankings, while our one-day and test teams have largely lagged far behind.
- Debutant Kemo Paul took critical top-order wickets, while Shimron Hetmyer was the driving force behind much of the Windies batting dominance in the decisive second test.
- In Paul, Bishoo and Hetmyer, the West Indies seems to have unearthed real talents.