Northern Echo – A CRICKET club has launched a campaign to raise thousands of pounds so it can rise from the ashes of an arson attack.
- The pavilion at Spennymoor Cricket Club was completely destroyed, along with most of the club’s belongings, after a fire on Saturday, July 7.
- The clubhouse was insured by Spennymoor Town Council, which owns the site, but not all of its contents so members and officials have begun fundraising to replace what it lost.
- Staff at Spennymoor Town Council have enabled its two teams to use changing facilities at High Whitworth Playing Fields for the remainder of this season and Shauna Templeton at The Victoria Inn is providing teas.
- Town clerk Katherine Hierons and some council staff and members have volunteered to run a raffle at Spennymoor Town FC on Saturday, for which prizes were donated by residents and businesses.
- Donations can be made via Raise Spennymoor Cricket Club from the Ashes on Facebook or at Spennymoor Town Hall or The Victoria Inn, on Villiers Street.