MSN New Zealand – He has been banned from top-level cricket for four months, but the International Cricket Council still rates former Australian captain Steve Smith as the best Test batsman in the world.
- Related: Steve Smith hits half century on surreal return to cricket in Canada | Faraz SarwatAnd David Warner is in fifth place in the ICC rankings, despite receiving the same 12-month ban as Smith following the ball tampering scandal in South Africa.
- Smith still sits atop the table ahead of India’s Virat Kohli, Joe Root from England, New Zealand’s Kane Williamson and then Warner.
- The ICC uses a points system to determine the rankings, so Smith’s form prior to the Johannesburg debacle lifted him to 929 points, with Kohli on 903 and Root sitting on 855.
- Smith and Warner have recently made their return to cricket in a T20 league in Canada while they wait for their ban to expire, while Warner and fellow suspended batsman Cameron Bancroft are playing in a tournament in Darwin.
- Australia are in third place on the Test team rankings, behind India and South Africa, who on Monday lost a series to Sri Lanka.