Hindustan Times – The ongoing heatwave in England that could lead to pitches drier than usual means there will be high expectations from Ravichandran Ashwin.
- (IND v ENG full coverage)The 31-year-old’s career statistics — 316 wickets from 58 Tests – suggest that he has been India’s No.
- Ashwin will be a certainty if the Indian team management picks two spinners, but if they decide to go in with just one then it could be a toss-up between him and Chinaman bowler Kuldeep Yadav, who is pushing for a spot as the one who can deliver wickets and keep England batsmen guessing.
- But with Kuldeep looking a certainty and even leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal being goaded to play first-class cricket to prepare him for Tests in future, Ashwin will be under huge pressure going into this tour.
- ALSO READ | Virat Kohli, Murali Vijay score contrasting fifties in ChelmsfordAshwin’s 12 wickets in three Tests in Australia, after being kept out of the first in Adelaide by stand-in skipper Virat Kohli who picked rookie leg-spinner Karn Sharma, proved to be a false dawn.
- Former India spinner Maninder Singh urged Ashwin to stick to his strength.