GiveMeSport – Joe Root glowed with pride at England’s skill and resilience as they edged a thrilling win over India in their landmark 1,000th Test.
- Joe Root glowed with pride at England’s skill and resilience as they edged a thrilling win over India in their landmark 1,000th Test.
- Root, the orchestrator of an outstanding collective which prevailed by 31 runs on the fourth morning at Edgbaston, rightly proclaimed a wonderfully absorbing contest as a “fabulous advert” for Test cricket.
- After Ben Stokes (four for 40) had turned the outcome with a spell of three for 15 – including the prized wicket of Virat Kohli – Root had praise for his premier all-rounder, 20-year-old aspirant Sam Curran after his man-of-the-match performance and old-stagers James Anderson and Stuart Broad.
- India needed 84 runs from their last five wickets, with Kohli unbeaten on 43, when they resumed on Saturday morning.
- Kohli appeared to be taking the game away, but Stokes had him lbw for 51 in his first over, added a second wicket three balls later, and finished the match when Hardik Pandya was caught-behind to leave India 162 all out.