Gulf News – London: Ollie Pope will make his England debut batting at the No.
- London: Ollie Pope will make his England debut batting at the No.
- The 20-year-old Surrey rising star is a direct replacement for Middlesex left-hander Dawid Malan, dropped after two low scores in England’s 31-run win in the first Test at Edgbaston last week.
- “Ollie Pope will come in and bat at four,” said Root during a pre-match press conference at Lord’s on Wednesday.
- Pope only made his first-class debut in March last year and has been called into the Test squad on the back of a mere 15 matches, while he has never batted in the top five in County Championship cricket.
- Root added: “He’s obviously batted at six for Surrey this season – but having seen him play a little bit, and the way his game is set up, I think it’s very much transferable to bat at number four in Test cricket.