Australian, The – ALEX Carey has emerged as a chief candidate for the World Cup captaincy as Australia fights to piece together its leadership puzzle.
- ALEX Carey has emerged as a chief candidate for the World Cup captaincy as Australia fights to piece together its leadership puzzle.
- Tim Paine is locked in as Australia’s Test skipper ahead of the upcoming series against Pakistan, but beyond that all balls are in the air.
- Paine isn’t expected to play ODI cricket again after struggling against England, and Carey, 26, is not only set to take the wicketkeeping gloves from him but is also firmly in the conversation to take the helm heading into next year’s World Cup defence.
- Carey has already been thrust into the vice-captaincy of the Twenty20 international team and the Australia A one-day and four-day sides that have arrived in India for a tour ahead of October’s two-Test series against Pakistan in the UAE.
- Warne may be alluding to what happened during the one-dayers in England in June, when Paine was thrust in as skipper, not because he was the best keeper (Carey had already been pencilled in), but because of the leadership crisis that had taken place in South Africa.