Sporting News – Ravichandran Ashwin has been hailed as the best off-spinner in world cricket by former England star Graeme Swann.
- Ravichandran Ashwin has been hailed as the best off-spinner in world cricket by former England star Graeme Swann.
- Ashwin was excellent for India in their first Test defeat to England this month, a performance Swann was eager to praise.
- The right-armer took seven wickets for 121 runs but could not prevent India falling to a 31-run loss at Edgbaston in a thrilling opener to the five-match series, which England lead 2-1 going into the fourth match at Southampton.
- England all-rounder Moeen Ali had previously been their first-choice spinner, but poor form in Australia and New Zealand has seen him so far left out of the series with India, having also been omitted from the two-game duel with Pakistan.
- Adil Rashid was controversially brought back into the Test fray for the India series and, asked about England’s difficulty in finding a front-line spinner, Swann said: “Yes, we have struggled, but Moeen is a good spinner, but I think he doesn’t believe he is a good spinner.