Gulf Today (UAE) – BELFAST: Afghanistan beat Ireland by 29 runs in the first one-day international of a three-match series in Belfast on Monday.
- BELFAST: Afghanistan beat Ireland by 29 runs in the first one-day international of a three-match series in Belfast on Monday.
- But on a slow, seaming pitch, they had to find a Plan B, and though the eventual margin wasn’t as large, that they still found success when conditions weren’t conducive were encouraging.
- They first had to negotiate a pair of excellent new-ball spells from Tim Murtagh and Boyd Rankin.
- The former no longer plays T20s, so was perhaps unfamiliar to the touring side, and he has been in excellent form for Middlesex in red-ball cricket.
- Fresh off consecutive 70-plus scores in the T20Is, the left-hander had looked to be in the same scintillating form, striking a four and a six in his first eight balls, but he was cramped for room by a good short ball, and could only succeed in popping a catch into the infield.