Mercury (Hobart, Australia) – THIRTY is the new 50 in the convoluted world of Australian cricket.
- Cricket Australia yesterday released a bizarre statistical explanation on its official website as “rationale” for the selection panel’s controversial snubbing of Glenn Maxwell and others for next month’s Test tour against Pakistan in the UAE.
- According to a story published on CA’s website, scores of “30 plus” have been identified as a “key metric” for a new-look squad trying to avoid batting collapses.
- “Take the name out of it, we’ve got to get back to a point in Australian cricket where it’s really hard to get into the team,” he said on SEN radio.
- In CA’s defence, scoring hundreds and performance under pressure were the two other key metrics cited.
- According to Cricket Australia, Aaron Finch gets a “big tick” for his percentage of scores of 30-plus, as does fellow debutant-in-waiting Travis Head.