Brand Reporter, The (India) – Melroy D’Souza, Chief Operating Officer Professional Management Group
I think one of the key aspects that work in favour of kabaddi is the unique activations.
- Aggressive marketing, improving the quality of content, corporate and government backing and a franchise model, have made Kabaddi a popular sport for the consumers.
- And with the second highest TVR and comprehensive on-ground and on-air integrations, Premier Kabaddi League (PKL) and, consequently Kabaddi, has given marketers an alternative option.
- We interviewed Mr Melroy D’Souza, Chief Operating Officer, Professional Management Group (a sports marketing company which is part of the Madison World), for his views on the phenomenon that Kabaddi is turning out to be.
- The key factors attributing to this growth are:* Aggressive Media Marketing* Making the content of international quality as well as television-friendly* Educating viewers of the sport* Good international performances by Indian athletes in sports like Badminton and Football* Increase in corporate and government backing* Franchise model which helps grow the sport in different regionsKabaddi is now a popular sport among kids and now that it is growing in scale, it will still continue to attract the tier 2 and tier 3 markets?
- The reason why the sport has an edge with marketers is as follows:* Comprehensive integration – on the ground and on air* Strong brand integration on live TV* Accessibility to players for the campaign* Cover the length and breadth with 12 teams* Second highest TVR after cricketA league like PKL offers brands an opportunity for some unique activations.