India Today – In a break away from tradition, the Indian cricket team on Wednesday announced the 12-man squad for the first Test match against the West Indies a day before the first ball of the series is to be bowled on October 4.
- Teenage batting sensation Prithvi Shaw will make his Test debut in the first game of the two-match series, becoming India’s 293rd Test player.
- Virat Kohli, Prithvi Shaw share a light moment as India get down to practice in RajkotIndia have named three spinners – Ravichandran Ashwin, Kuldeep Yadav and Ravindra Jadeja – in the team.
- Also read – Virat Kohli tells Prithvi Shaw the secret behind his success in EnglandUncapped opener Mayank Agarwal, all-rounder Hanuma Vihari and fast bowler Mohammed Siraj are the three players to miss out from India’s original 15-man squad.
- The Test series against West Indies will be India’s last chance to play some red-ball cricket before their tour to Australia.
- Also read – We know the Indian conditions and know how to go about our job: Ajinkya RahaneIndia, who last lost a Test series at home in late 2012 against England, started the year with a 2-1 loss to South Africa but then thrashed debutants Afghanistan at home in a one-off Test before flying to England, where they won the T20 series 2-1 but lost the ODI series 1-2 before going on to lose the five-match Test series 1-4.