Australian, The – THE sweet emotion of a triple baggy green presentation was last night sucked dry by yet another veteran Pakistani sticking the boot into Australia.
- In sapping 38C heat in Dubai, Mohammad Hafeez punished Tim Paine’s side with a soul-destroying hundred just days shy of his 38th birthday.
- But rushed in at the last moment, he made the most of a crucial coin toss win to lead the home side to an ominous position at 1-205 early in the final session on day one.
- But Nathan Lyon and Peter Siddle gave Australia a glimmer of hope when they dismissed openers Imam ul-Haq (76) and Hafeez (126) in the final session to have Pakistan 2-224.
- The atmosphere was soulless and the pitch flat, and Australia spent the first two sessions perishing at the hands of Hafeez and ul-Haq.
- No Steve Smith, no David Warner and miles from home, Australia found themselves back in the frying pan.