The Guardian – 3.53am EDT
It’s four weeks and one day since the final day’s play of the final Test of the English cricketing summer.
- 3.53am EDT03:53PreambleIt’s four weeks and one day since the final day’s play of the final Test of the English cricketing summer.
- It’s barely a fortnight since the counties called it a day for the season.
- You can’t spend three months on a paddle steamer going halfway round the world to play another three months’ worth of knockabout warmups against a series of village sides.
- And so to Dambulla, where England get their winter under way with the first of the 237 days of international cricket they’re squeezing in before Christmas.
- England, on the other hand, are the world No 1s and, with the World Cup eight months away, unrecognisable from the side who have stunk out … well pretty much every tournament since 1992.