Stuff – OPINION: Missing from the summer of cricket: Steve Smith, David Warner and reverse swing for Australia’s bowlers.
- OPINION: Missing from the summer of cricket: Steve Smith, David Warner and reverse swing for Australia’s bowlers.
- Not that anyone would imply that it was Australia’s specialist ball-looker-after-er, Warner, who did anything underhand to get that old ball to swing, but England’s Stuart Broad made a pertinent point after the Cape Town debacle.
- READ MORE: * We cheated, we know: Dean Jones * Australia fans kicked out of MCG for racist taunts * Australian greats chide Fox Sports interviews * Banned Bancroft exposes Warner * Warner backed into a corner: Pierik * Bumpy road back for Warner now: WuDuring last summer’s Ashes series, Broad said, the Englishmen observed that Australia were able to “reverse [swing] the ball in nearly all of those test matches, sometimes in conditions where you wouldn’t expect the ball to reverse”.
- What has been revealed is that the relation of Smith, Warner and Bancroft to the absence of reverse swing is the same as the relation of “I don’t want to know about it” to “every man for himself”.
- While it would seem morally impossible for the Australian team to have it both ways – to benefit from The Method, to lose it, to dodge blame when it went wrong – it will also make possible the reintegration of individuals such as Smith and Warner.