The Economic Times – Indian sport has rarely has it as good at the start of a year.
- In white ball cricket, India is a force to reckon with and will start the 50-over World Cup in England in summer as one of the favourites along with the hosts.
- If only the players’ workloads can be balanced well and the fast bowlers given some much-needed rest during the gruelling IPL, India will be match-ready come the first warm-up game of the World Cup on May 25, 2019.
- India now has multiple world champions in the age group of 15-18 and if they are well protected by mentors like Jaspal Rana, Suma Shirur and Joydeep Karmakar, they have every reason to deliver in Tokyo.
- In Manu Bhaker, Heena Sidhu , Apurvi Chandela, Mehuli Ghosh, Anjum Moudgil, Saurabh Chaudhary, and not to forget Jitu Rai, Gagan Narang, Deepak Kumar and Ravi Kumar, India has a crop, which can easily be labelled the golden generation of Indian shooting.
- In wrestling Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat are at par with the world’s best and if Bajrang can do what he did at the Asian games, he can emulate Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt at Olympic stage.