The Economic Times – When you read this report, the first day of the final Test will be well under way and instead of poring through fitness report you can focus on enjoying the cricket.
- This happened just after 11am, Sydney time, at the end of a practice session that included some fitness drills for Ashwin, him walking off with trainer Shanker Basu and a long and animated chat between Virat Kohli and the coaching staff at the end of training.
- About two hours after Kohli had said his piece, the same team spokesperson who had ruled Ashwin out, announced: “The team management has named him in the 13-man squad for the final Test.
- Ashwin picked up his abdominal injury on the final day of the Adelaide Test, where he bowled more than 50 overs.
- Perhaps some retrospective fitness report, as in the case of Ravindra Jadeja, who was not played in Perth, where Nathan Lyon was Man of the Match in Australia’s victory, will be forthcoming at some stage.
- India are 2-1 up and in prime position to register their first Test series win in Australia, but the confused messaging emerging from the camp is closer to updates from a casualty ward than a team about to make history.