Daily Mail UK – Eddie Gilbert was the fastest bowler Don Bradman ever faced – an Aboriginal cricketer Australia rejected for national selection and then completely forgot.
- Gilbert, who once sat Bradman on his backside and knocked the bat out of his hand, was only the third man to dismiss The Don for a duck in first class cricket.
- Six decades later when Gilbert was forging his career for Queensland there had not been an Aboriginal Test player.
- According to Mike Colman and Ken Edwards in their 2002 biography of Gilbert, the 26-year-old’s first ball forced Bradman back but was safely defended.
- After Gilbert bowled Bradman in the 1931 Gabba game NSW manager Al Rose told the press the Aborigine was chucking the ball.
- Gilbert missed the 1933-34 Sheffield Shield season but according to the Australian Dictionary of Biography topped Queensland’s bowling figures the following year with an average of 18.43.