MSN UK – A special message from MSN:
The UK’s most vulnerable children and young people face unimaginable challenges.
- For all the qualities which Stuart Broad has brought to England’s attack since he was finally selected for this series, the tourists still lack the extra pace which West Indies have in their armoury, and which again England again in their second innings to defeat.
- Shannon Gabriel is a permanent member of the 90mph club: he looks, indeed, as though he is a bouncer stationed outside the club, ready to refuse entry to any England bowler who thinks of applying.
- But the truth starkly exposed in the Caribbean sunshine over this past fortnight is that none of England’s bowlers has been able to land a physical and psychological blow such as the West Indies fast bowlers have inflicted on their primary target in England’s team – because he is their captain – Joe Root.
- In this series, England’s batting averages are heading in the same downward direction – and, in another case of “it was ever thus”, there is no sign on the horizon that they will be able to match West Indies for pace, let alone exceed them.
- Oshane Thomas is Jamaican, like Hylton was, and other honorary life members of the 90mph club like Roy Gilchrist, who was banned for bowling beamers, and Patrick Patterson – and the venue for the third Test in this series, the Darren Sammy stadium at Gros Islet in St Lucia, has for several years been known as the only pacy pitch in the West Indies.