Australian, The – THE quality of umpiring in the Big Bash has joined a long list of review topics for Cricket Australia after what Melbourne Stars captain Glenn Maxwell called an “extraordinary” decision in Perth on Sunday night.
- Melbourne opener Ben Dunk was given out caught by TV umpire Simon Lightbody in his team’s 27-run loss, despite Scorchers’ fielder Nick Hobson declaring he didn’t take the catch cleanly.
- Perth fast bowler Nathan Coulter-Nile started walking back to his mark but the umpires intervened after a request from Perth keeper Cameron Bancroft to have a look at it.
- Despite replays proving inconclusive, the on-field “soft” signal from the umpires was out and Lightbody didn’t overrule it.
- “Bancroft asked for it to be had a look at and somehow the umpire has come up with that’s out.
- The controversial decision follows several incidents this season involving the umpires.