Australian, The – Cup now the priority
USMAN Khawaja’s Ashes preparations won’t come into consideration when selectors announce Australia’s latest one-day squad this week.
- Cup now the priorityUSMAN Khawaja’s Ashes preparations won’t come into consideration when selectors announce Australia’s latest one-day squad this week.
- Australia is now dealing with the competing forces of how to best finetune players for the respective challenges presented by the World Cup and the Ashes.
- However, coach Justin Langer has declared that mixing and matching players and formats is not an option, with the World Cup being treated as the immediate priority.
- Immediately following that, Australia will have five more ODIs against Pakistan in the UAE — and the road to picking the final World Cup 15 is now into its final stretch.
- Langer will have some key Ashes prospects like Joe Burns, Kurtis Patterson, Marnus Labuschagne, Matt Renshaw, Marcus Harris and possibly Travis Head all playing Shield cricket then more first-class games in the UK at the same time the World Cup is running.