Stuff – Navin Patel in action for the Stags against Wellington at the Basin Reserve.
- CRICKET: Central Stags and Manawatū seamer Navin Patel will be missing from the New Zealand cricket circuit next summer after accepting a job in the United Kingdom.
- He has represented New Zealand at an Indoor Cricket World Cup in Dubai in 2017 and gained his first professional contract with the Central Stags as a Palmerston North 21-year-old in 2016, after coming up through the CD age-group system, but has struggled for regular game time.
- READ MORE: * Manawatū quick Ray Toole called into Central Districts A lineup * Central Districts A roll out the Stags for clash against Wellington A * Worker back from India to rejoin CD battling lineupOne of the Stags’ 16 contracted players last summer, Patel said the decision to make himself unavailable for the forthcoming season was a tough one.
- Central Districts high performance manager Lance Hamilton said the association respected Patel’s decision to invest in his life beyond cricket.
- “At 24, there is plenty of time left for him to pursue his cricket career should he desire, and our door will certainly not be closed should Nav decide to return to New Zealand and CD in the future.”