News – Cricket: Steve Smith talks to the press ahead of the ODI series against England.
- Lehmann was asked on Sunday in an interview on ABC’s Offsiders, if selectors were forced to select veteran Cameron White over Maxwell because Smith had just last week come out publicly to criticise Maxwell’s training standards when the 14-man OFI squad was announced.
- Lehmann said Maxwell’s axing from the squad is simply a case of Australia looking to find more runs in its middle order.
- “No, not at all, it was a case of trying to pick the best team we think will win for this series and Cameron White is in career-best form,” he said when asked about the impact Smith’s comments had on Maxwell’s selection fortunes.
- Australia will be without Josh Hazlewood, who has been rested for the game in Melbourne, with AJ Tye, Jhye Richardson and Adam Zampa competing to replace him while Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Marsh and Cameron White are battling it out for two middle-order slots.
- That is likely to leave Marcus Stoinis, Mitch Marsh and Cameron White to compete for the two remaining spots in a middle order that Smith identified as a key area of focus.