The Guardian – Trevor Bayliss has welcomed the return of Ben Stokes but confirmed he is unlikely to play in England’s first ODI of the New Zealand series.
- Trevor Bayliss has welcomed the return of Ben Stokes but confirmed he is unlikely to play in England’s first ODI of the New Zealand series.
- The rest of the ODI squad not taking part in the trans-Tasman tri-series will arrive on 18 February but Stokes will join the T20 squad in Hamilton on Friday.
- Accordingly Bayliss, the England coach, says Stokes will not play in the T20 on Sunday against New Zealand and is doubtful for the first ODI against them on 25 February.
- While Stokes’ absence was not necessarily felt during the 4-1 ODI series win against Australia, that success has been sandwiched by a 4-0 defeat in the Ashes and three consecutive Twenty20 failures, with two losses to Australia and on Tuesday against New Zealand.
- New Zealand offers a less febrile setting for a return than Australia but the chance to get back on the field, Bayliss feels, will be relief enough for Stokes.