Australian Broadcast Corporation (ABC) News Online – Seven West Media has confirmed it has won the bidding war for Cricket Australia’s television rights.
- In a statement to the ASX, Seven said it had been informed its bid with pay-TV partner Foxtel to broadcast Australian international cricket games from the summer of 2018-2019 as well as the Big Bash League had been successful.
- Media speculation has valued the bid at more than $1 billion for the rights to broadcast Tests and the high-rating Twenty20 Big Bash League.
- It is the first time that the Nine Network has lost the cricket rights in 40 years.
- Foxtel’s Fox Sports will cover all games, taking exclusive rights to international one-day 50 overs matches and Twenty20 internationals, putting them behind a pay wall for the first time.
- Cricket Australia had been under pressure to deliver a big pay day having asked all parties to re-submit tenders earlier this year after a disappointing first round of bids.