Sporting News – Aaron Finch has declared his interest in taking over as captain of Australia’s limited-overs team.
- Aaron Finch has declared his interest in taking over as captain of Australia’s limited-overs team.
- Cricket Australia are yet to decide who will take charge in the absences of Steve Smith and David Warner, with the pair both serving 12-month suspensions following the ball-tampering scandal.
- Wicketkeeper Tim Paine filled the role for the final Test of a tumultuous tour of South Africa but is by no means a certainty to be picked in the shorter formats.
- MORE: Steve Smith could still play a major role next summer |With a five-match ODI series against England coming up in June, followed by a one-off T20 fixture to conclude the short tour, Finch has put his name in the frame for the job.
- Finch, who has led Australia twice before in 50-over cricket, was appointed captain of the T20 side in 2014, only to be replaced by Smith ahead of the ICC World Twenty20 tournament in 2016.