Hindu – Justin Langer speaks to the media during a press conference in Melbourne, Australia.
- Langer has been appointed the Team Head Coach of the Australian men’s cricket tea, replacing Darren Lehmann who resigned in the wake of the ball tampering scandal.
- | Photo Credit: Getty ImagesLooking to move on from one of the darkest periods in its 140-year history, Cricket Australia has chosen Justin Langer as its new head coach, hoping the 105-test veteran will lead the national team out of the fallout from the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.
- Langer takes over for Darren Lehmann, who resigned after the embarrassing ball-tampering episode in March that saw Australia’s two leading players captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner banned by Cricket Australia for 12 months.
- Langer had been head coach of Western Australia state and the Perth Scorchers Twenty20 team since November 2012, during which time he was lauded for his player development skills.
- Langer was endorsed as Lehmann’s replacement by the Cricket Australia board of directors on Wednesday night.