Manchester Evening News – Mike Atherton believes Haseeb Hameed will overcome his current slump in form and force his way back into the England Test side .
- Last season he scored just 520 first-class runs, with just three half-centuries, he hasn’t reached three figures for two years and has been dropped by Lancashire from their County Championship side after a poor start to this campaign, although was reinstated one match later batting at No.
- But former Lancashire and England opener Atherton believes the 21-year-old is simply too talented to not play Test cricket again.
- Former England captain and Lancashire opener Mike Atherton (Image: Joel Goodman) And Atherton, who scored just short of 10,000 first-class runs for Lancashire, says Hameed and other England batsmen aren’t helped by the schedule.
- Lancashire’s Haseeb Hameed (Image: Nathan Stirk/Getty Images) “So it is very, very difficult now for young batsmen with the opening five games of the Championship in April and early May, and another five games at the back end of the season.
- Haseeb Hameed raises his bat after scoring 50 for England in Rajkot (Image: AP Photo/Rafiq Maqbool) Sky Sports Cricket is the exclusive home of England Test and ODI cricket this summer, broadcasting live action against Pakistan, Australia, India and all women’s internationals, starting with England v Pakistan on Thursday 24 May.