Pakistan Today – “There is no greater feeling than to achieve the No.
- October 2016: Beat the Windies 2-1 (home – UAE)The series in England got over on 14 August, and Pakistan’s next Test assignment was against the Windies at ‘home’ in October-November.
- Misbah and Younis Khan were still very much around, but after Pakistan went 2-0 up, Kraigg Brathwaite played the match of his life – 142* and 60* – to give the Windies victory in the final Test.
- They managed to exit on a high, as Pakistan won the first Test by seven wickets in Kingston, then lost the second by 106 runs in Bridgetown – Shannon Gabriel the star this time with nine wickets for the match – but won the last one in Roseau by 101 runs to take the series.
- Coming as it did after Pakistan’s fantastic ICC Champions Trophy 2017 victory, it was a heady time for Pakistan cricket, but in the Test rankings, they were only around the middle by then.
- September-October 2017: Lost to Sri Lanka 2-0 (home – UAE)Pakistan had slipped a long way in the rankings then, but with the Sri Lanka Tests to be played in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, a turnaround was on the cards, even with Sarfraz Ahmed taking charge of a team with a batting order low on experience.