Yahoo UK and Ireland – New Zealand cricket legend Sir Richard Hadlee has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.
- New Zealand cricket legend Sir Richard Hadlee has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.
- Sir Richard, whose 431 Test wickets are the most by a Kiwi and place him eighth on the all-time list, has undergone surgery to remove a tumour and will have chemotherapy over the course of the next few months.
- A statement released by New Zealand Cricket on behalf of the 66-year-old’s wife, Lady Dianne, read: “Last month, Richard had a routine, three-year colonoscopy, and we discovered that he has bowel cancer.
- Sir Richard is widely regarded as one of the finest bowling all-rounders to have graced the game, also amassing 3,124 runs, with two centuries and 15 fifties, in his 86 Tests from 1973 to 1990.
- A former fast bowler who later modified his action to rely on swing, Sir Richard was a pivotal presence in Nottinghamshire’s County Championship triumphs in 1981 and 1987.