DNA – After all the excitement leading up to Afghanistans historic occasion of stepping out on the field in whites, reality struck the 12th nation to play the longest format at the international stage.
- The 32-year-old Dhawan continued on the IPL mode, destroying the inexperienced Afghanistan attack including the much-talked about leg-spinner Rashid Khan and the off-break bowler Mujeeb ur Rahman, at will.
- The extended spells given to Rashid Khan, who troubled the Indians and even picked up his first wicket, trapping India captain Ajinkya Rahane following a DRS, also saw bowlers from the other end contain the hosts.
- ALL IN A DAYS PLAY SESSION 1: DHAWAN ALL THE WAY India opener Shikhar Dhawan toys with the inexperienced Afghanistan bowlers in their first session in Test cricket, reaching his seventh century before lunch, becoming the first Indian ever to do so on the opening day of a Test.
- Scores at lunch: India 158/0 in 27 ov (M Vijay 41*, S Dhawan 104*) vs Afghanistan SESSION 2: RAIN PLAYS SPOILSPORT Shikhar Dhawan falls to medium-pacer Yamin Ahmadzai in the second over after lunch, edging to second slip Rahmat Shah, who failed to hold on to the shoulder-high offering but did well enough to deflect to first slip Md Nabi.
- Scores at tea: India 248/1 in 45.