Asian Age – The 20-year-old Pant is renowned for his swashbuckling batting and will be the second choice keeper behind Dinesh Karthik.
- Mumbai: Rishabh Pant has been included as the second wicketkeeper in an 18-man India squad for the first three tests of the five-match series against England after regular starter Wriddhiman Saha failed to recover from a left thumb injury.
- The 20-year-old Pant, who has played four T20 internationals for India, is renowned for his swashbuckling batting and will be the second choice keeper behind Dinesh Karthik in the squad named on Wednesday.
- “Jasprit Bumrah, who has been included in the squad, will be available for selection from the second test onwards based on his fitness,” the Indian cricket board (BCCI) said in a statement.
- Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan and Lokesh Rahul were the three opening batsmen in the squad, though the latter came in at number three against Afghanistan, pushing Cheteshwar Pujara down a spot in the absence of a rested Kohli.
- Squad: Virat Kohli (captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Murali Vijay, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Karun Nair, Dinesh Karthik (wicketkeeper), Rishabh Pant (wicketkeeper), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Shardul Thakur.