India Today – Akshay Wadkar has replaced suspended Abhishek Gupta in the India Red squad for the upcoming Duleep Trophy competition, which starts from August 17.
- Akshay Wadkar has replaced suspended Abhishek Gupta in the India Red squad for the upcoming Duleep Trophy competition, which starts from August 17.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) made this late change as Gupta is currently serving an eight-month ban for doping violation that ends in September and keeping that in mind the board announced the replacement for the Abhinav Mukund-led side.
- “It was brought to notice by the BCCI anti-doping team that Abhishek Gupta who was initially added in the India Red squad is serving an 8-month ban for a doping violation,” a BCCI statement read.
- The senior selection committee has reached a consensus that Akshay Wadkar will be included in the India Red team as Gupta’s replacement,” it added.
- It turned out to be a major faux pas for the governing body for cricket in India as Abhishek is banned from participation in cricket till September 14 while the Duleep Trophy is scheduled to take place from August 17 to September 8.