The Sun – UK – THIS week Ben Stokes is likely to be formally charged with bringing the game of cricket into disrepute.
- Stokes is England’s self-styled ‘Firestarter’, famed for pyrotechnics with bat and ball as well as a violent streak, which saw him face trial for affray in Bristol a fortnight ago.
- But with Alastair Cook slipping towards retirement and skipper Joe Root having failed to score a Test century for a year, Stokes is currently England’s most technical, proficient batsman too.
- Yet some time after the conclusion of this series — which England still lead with two to play — Stokes will have to defend himself all over again in a bid to avoid further punishment from a Cricket Discipline Commission.
- Thanks to Buttler, Stokes and some late resistance from Adil Rashid, England did at least manage to stave off complete humiliation.
- Yet England still managed two batting collapses, with rapid four-wicket flurries before and after the Buttler and Stokes show.