Daily Mail UK – Test discard Glenn Maxwell began his bid for a return to international cricket in impressive fashion as the domestic season opened in Townsville on Sunday.
- Maxwell top-scored with a confident 80 off 91 balls in his first match since his omission from Australia’s squad for the upcoming two-Test series against Pakistan.
- Along with Nic Maddinson, Maxwell shared in a crucial 101-run stand for the fifth wicket.
- Maxwell came to the wicket with his side in trouble at 3-40 but the hard-hitting batsman looked confident from the outset before eventually being caught on the boundary.
- Maxwell and Maddinson were the only two Victorian batsman to pass 20 – captain Peter Handscomb out for no score – as the Queensland bowling attack dominated.
- Paceman Mark Steketee starred with 4-35 off nine overs, including the key wickets of Maxwell and Marcus Harris (19).