Stuff – Offspinner Will Somerville has been summoned to the New Zealand test squad after two first-class matches for Auckland.
- Offspinner Will Somerville has been summoned to the New Zealand test squad after two first-class matches for Auckland.
- Wellington-born Somerville, who was tipped as an Australian test contender in early 2017 after a prolific season for New South Wales, is bound for the United Arab Emirates to replace luckless legspinner Todd Astle in the test squad to face Pakistan.
- Selector Gavin Larsen said Somerville had impressed the selectors and would complement legspinner Ish Sodhi and left-arm orthodox Ajaz Patel in the squad for the three-test series starting in Abu Dhabi on November 16.
- He picked up the injury during the recent New Zealand A one-day series and Larsen said he wouldn’t be able to cope with the workload expected in the ODI and test series against Pakistan.
- New Zealand squad for three tests against Pakistan in the UAE: Kane Williamson (captain), Jeet Raval, Tom Latham, Ross Taylor, Henry Nicholls, BJ Watling, Tom Blundell, Colin de Grandhomme, Will Somerville, Ish Sodhi, Ajaz Patel, Tim Southee, Neil Wagner, Matt Henry, Trent Boult.