Rediff – ‘If cricket were to be staged in these Games, we know every team competing would be guaranteed ‘home’ support.
- There’s a ready-made audience and ready-made infrastructure in the local vicinity’IMAGE: ‘Creating a new partnership between women’s cricket and the Commonwealth Games demonstrates the commitment both organisations have to growing women’s sport’.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has submitted a bid for the inclusion of women’s Twenty20 in the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, the governing body said on Monday.
- “Cricket and the Commonwealth are inextricably linked and almost perfectly aligned with 910 million of cricket’s one billion plus adult fans from Commonwealth countries,” ICC chief executive David Richardson said in a statement.
- “Creating a new partnership between women’s cricket and the Commonwealth Games demonstrates the commitment both organisations have to growing women’s sport.
- “We are committed to cricket being a sport of choice for women and girls in Australia, and with the ICC T20 World Cup in our backyard in 2020, we know the popularity of the women’s game will continue to rise in the coming years,” he said.