Mail and Guardian – Where do all the stumps, balls, shirts and other cricket paraphernalia stored as memorabilia go?
- If you drive to his hometown of Tzaneen, do not be surprised to see a “Steyn 8” replica jersey floating about in a game of street cricket.
- ’”When Steyn finds time to take the long road to Limpopo, he has seen a few of his shirts walking the streets.
- When he was on those streets, killing time on skateboards and sampling alternative music, he couldn’t possibly have dreamt that his name would be on the lips and backs of the next generation,no way of dreaming that his name would one day be among those deemed to be the highest plunderers of wickets the world has ever seen.
- Given his vast collection of wickets around the world and the unflinching respect of a generation of batsmen who have had to look into his crazy eyes, it’s safe to say that Steyn has not been short of a significant shirt to send home.
- Whether playing on the streets of Bangladesh with gobsmacked locals during a rained-out Test, catching the serenity of a long wave on a distant beach, or simply having a conversation about the unique art of fast bowling with the next batch of Protea greats, Steyn has remained as consistent as his outswinger.