Telegraph – Calcutta, India – With Steve Smith and David Warner likely to return, captain Aaron Finch is open to demoting himself in the batting order in order to aid Australia in their title defence in the upcoming ICC World Cup.
- I can bat down the order if need be,” Finch was quoted as saying by the Cricket Australia website on the eve of the first ODI versus Pakistan in Sharjah.
- Finch and Khawaja are expected to open in the five-match ODI series against Pakistan, having recently produced stands of zero, 83, 193, three and 76 in India.
- To an extent, Finch addressed his concerns in the series against India, when he scored 93 in the third ODI in Ranchi.
- Finch insists he would not be losing sleep over a potential rematch with Australia’s tormentor from last year’s Test series in the UAE — record-breaking quick Mohammed Abbas.
- Finch fell three times to Abbas in his debut Test series, while Khawaja and Shaun Marsh (twice) also fell off the pacer’s bowling.