NationNews (Barbados) – The 1996 World Cup champions limped to 201 all out in the 37th over as
Afghanistan grabbed nine wickets for 57 runs to give themselves a chance of pulling off a shock win.
- Afghanistan needed a rain-revised target of just 187 from 41 overs but they failed to gain any momentum in their run chase and completely lost their way after opener Mohammad Shahzad’s dismissal in the fifth over led them to losing five wickets for just 23 runs.
- Pradeep was the pick of the Sri Lankan bowlers as he claimed a career best four wickets for 31 runs as Afghanistan were bowled out for 152 in the 33rd over.
- “One hundred and eighty seven is not easy to defend, we know their openers go hard, but once we got them they were on the backfoot and we kept getting wickets,” Sri Lanka captain Karunaratne said.
- Sri Lanka 201 in 36.5 overs (Kusal Perera 78, Dimuth Karunaratne 30, Lahiru Thirimanne 25, Suranja Lakmal 15 n.o., Isuru Udana 10; Mohammad Nabi 4-30, Rashid Khan 2-17, Dawlat Zadran 2-34).
- Afghanistan 152 in 32.4 overs (Najibullah Zadran 43, Hazratullah Zazai 30, Guibadin Naib 23, Mohammad Nabi 11; Nuwan Pradeep 4-31, Lasith Malinga 3-39).