WA Today – Robin Smith’s autobiography, The Judge.Credit:Penguin Books
“In my time, the Aussies were generally the worst sledgers around – though Pakistan ran them close – and I think that’s why they’ve often been so unpopular,” he wrote.
- Robyn SmithDuring the Trent Bridge Test, Smith asked his idol, Allan Border, whether he could have a glass of water, a panadol and a few “pints of water” wearing off after a heavy Friday night of drinking when he mistakingly thought that play the next day would be rained off.
- Character: Merve Hughes always had a choice word for Robyn Smith.
- Actually only two words.Credit:Quentin JonesIn the Lord’s Test, Smith again batting, asked Border another question, this time whether he could leave his crease and prod the pitch.
- “Merv, Geoff Lawson, Terry Alderman and occasionally AB were the biggest sledgers in the Aussie teams I played against,” Smith said.
- LoadingNow 55, Smith has since become good friends with many of the Australian players.